Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This is what matters!

I forgot to mention in the last post that it was my close friend, Sameer, who inspired me to write about my PS..
Thanks buddy..

This post is all about what really matters to me the most..

TI life:
Morning 9 am, I enter TI , see people standing peacefully in the que for breakfast. Everybody selects his/her favourite food item. Cafeteria is clean, well decorated. The contractor respectfully treats you, remembers what's your favourite food. I have breakfast and start walking towards my cubicle. Everybody seems lazy and yawning. Nobody seems to care.

I reach my cubicle on the fourth floor, start my day looking at e-mails, occasionally check the results of the previous day's work and in a while, I am all geared up for work. Suddeny, I feel the floor getting crowded and everybody getting back to their respective cubicles, which they, mostly half heartedly, have left on the previous day. Cubicles are unique places that convey you a lotta information about the person. I see one cubicle filled with marrage photographs all around, another with couple of teddy bears. I start working and after a while, I feel the urge to go to the pantry. A couple of collegues and I go for a coffee. After chatting over myriad issues and reading newspapers, we come back. On our way back, we see people working, walking around to attend a meeting, talking over IP phones and discussing architectures inside well furnished team rooms. After the little break, I resume work. I talk to my mentors a couple of times over the phone, or go to their cubicles for the same. I find my mentors to be friendly people. They are really helpful and they tell me exactly what I need to know. I can argue with them without any inhibitions. My work requires a lot of research and in-depth knowledge of software tools. Most of the interns here are working in projects concerning R & D.

Afternoon generally the most difficult times. Heavy lunch worsens the situation. Afternoons are generally spent in chatting or in playing Table Tennis at Texins (club).

Evenings, for me , are the most pleasant times. They inspire creative work! They make ideas flow. So, generally I keep working till late evenings.

So this is my routine. You must be wondering, "huh.. how does this matter? Everybody does this".

I will come to the point.

Texas Instruments is one such company that keeps up the engineering spirit. I always wondered before PS how exactly can research work be done by working in companies. I never really believed that hardcore electronics work can be carried out in the professional environment of the semiconductor companies. And now, I am convinced to say "yes..this is possible. TI provides a research environment". I had always been unhappy with the facilities and infrastucture at BITS. But TI is different. It is a company which truly respects its engineers. Innovation is not just accepted, but also motivated. Innovation can only come through freedom, and I think people here know it well. People work with targets and not with time. Employees can have a vacation in between two pre-decided tasks. Work goes on smoothly. If a certain software tool is not capable to perform a task, TI guys would come up with their own scripts to overcome the difficulty. Engineers are just expected to Engineer...and the rest is taken care by TI.

Sometimes, I wonder what do I want from my life. I can become an investment banker, earn a heavy salary and do the work which I dislike (or maybe, which I hate). On the other hand, I can spend rest of my life working in a hardcore research and development environment and earn a lot less. I think I would choose the latter. It is the real engineering work which can actually satisfy my soul. That is something which can make and keep me happy.

This is what matters! Isn't it?

11 comments:

Nimit said...

vestment Bankers are not boring ..... Engineers are geeky !

Amit Sabne said...

i don't mean it that way Nimit..its just tht i FEEL its BORING for ME..

Rohit said...

Amit: At Mercedes I follow roughly the same schedule - mornings start with mail checking, cafeteria, check mail for replies, then yesterday's simulation/coding results, start today's work with gusto, work for a couple of hours, lunch, attend departmental seminar/video-conf/lecture by software providers (usually Mathworks), work a couple more hours, cafeteria, and then back home. Others might think that this is pretty monotonous, matter of fact I did too - the inside of MercBenz looks just like a BPO. But once you get down to work, adn interacting with others, you learn so much. Just to put it into perspective - I have virtually redone Consys, ES2/EMEC, AMOS, and a bit of DECO, and am continuing to learn more by the day. Besides this 'engineering' stuff, I get to see how Daimler carries out market research, how it interacts with customers and clients. PS2 for me has really been a fabulous experience to date.

Amit Sabne said...

Yeah Rohit..you are right. It has been a wonderful experience to see how things work in the industry..

Nimit said...

and i procrastinate the whole day in my PS!

Unknown said...

Dare you b an investment banker! I bet u, u wont!

Halli post karnares ka? I ll add u to my reader ;D

Getting back to the work you get, it is testing work naa? If so, (i) isn't that supposed to be boring? (heresay) (ii) after how many years of work-ex do they not give you testing, but actual design?

Amit Sabne said...

I bet u testing isn't boring..(atleast in TI). Its more complicated than designing. Any idiot who knows verliog can design. Thats why testing takes lot more time than designing! Actually this is adding overhead design to the original one to test it out.
There is no criteria of expirience for getting into design.
BITS guys are into designing. But my stuff is new for me, and its fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey Amit!

Nice to see you're enjoying PS and all...we deserved better I guess ;)

So any plans of apping in the pipeline?

Abhishek Kumar said...

Hey amit...
Nice blog! So, you're enjoying PS thoroughly! nice... I'm already looking forward to PS2 next sem. [:P]

keep blogging...

Amit Sabne said...

@sandip

Not apping this year..

Amit Sabne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.